Monday, August 1, 2011

Swim Security and Registartion

It was pitch dark out as I walked down the street. It was 4:50 a.m. and already athletes were on site getting ready for their big race day. I was supposed to meet up with my volunteer group at 5a.m. at Mirror Lake. We were all swim security which included keeping spectators out of the swim chute. We all had our swim security Ironman shirts on ready to roll. At first my job was simple and easy but then it got chaotic. Athletes were streaming through trying to reach the bike and run special needs area or the beach. Next thing I knew family members were trying to enter the chute for various reasons. I was given very strict orders to keep everyone out except athletes. Eventually I had to ask for back-up. It was crazy. Before I knew it things started to quite down and athletes started to crowd the beach area. At 6:50 a.m. the first gun went off and the pro athletes started their Lake Placid 2011 Ironman adventure. Ten minutes later the second gun went off. What a sight. Thousands of athletes were kicking, crawling, and thrusting through the water. It was scary, unnerving and thrilling to watch. Hands-down the swim is what makes me the most nervous about next year. It looks brutal to say the least.
  Thankfully Ironman takes many precautions to make sure the athletes are safe during the swim. First of all below the water is a cord the whole length of the swim. If you are lucky enough to swim close to the cord you can follow it the entire swim. There are also big buoys to watch for. The whole swim course is surrounded by kayaks, canoes and boats watching for any struggling swimmers. Also Ironman has divers watching the swimmers from below. The divers look for struggling swimmers and also for cheaters. There are lifeguards on duty and paramedics ready to move quickly in case of an emergency. Thankfully all the swimmers exited the swim, although some had bruises and bloody faces from being kicked.
Once the swimmers started exiting the water I was moved to the end of the chute where the athletes were entering the transition area. There were several steps they had to take so I had to yell at the athletes to ‘step up’ over and over and over. It was actually a lot of fun. Before my shift was over I was moved to the bike mount area where I had to keep spectators out of the way. The bike mount area got so congested. I was glad I could see it.
  My 5-10a.m. volunteering shift was over before I knew it. As soon as I good I found my family and spent the rest of the day watching the bike and run course. We stayed until after 4pm. By 4 I was totally exhausted and ready for sleep. Jamie, Tuck and I headed back to our campsite to get ready for supper and bed. I had to go to bed at a decent time since I had to get up early to stand in the registration line.
  My friend, Matt and I stood in line from 6:15ish until 10ish to register for 2012 Ironman. The line was so, so long. I was surprised. Many people camped out the night before in order to be near the front of the line. Registration was supposed to open around 9am but thankfully they opened around 7:15ish. It still took us awhile to enter the gym where the registration was taking place. Once we entered the gym I started to get very excited. Next thing I knew I was registering!!! There was a girl about my age, from Maine, registering beside me. We both congratulated one another and wished each other a great year of training. Before I left the gym I took a picture with my friend Matt. We held up our Ironman paperwork and smiled for the camera. Wow, it has begun. And, just like that I am on my way to doing my first Ironman. I am just praying that I can race July 22, 2012 and finish the Ironman feeling strong. So many things can happen in a year.
Smile, Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment