Thursday, August 4, 2011

20 Miles and Mac and Cheese

Several blogs ago I mentioned how I have been having terrible GI trouble after my long runs. Well, I have figured out what the problem is and I have solved it. I think.
   This past Sunday I had to do a 20 mile run in preparation for my upcoming marathon. The day before my run I decided to do something a bit different.  Usually I try to eat wholesome, healthy food but I am slowly starting to figure out it isn’t always the right thing to do before long endurance training. J The day before my last 18 mile run I ate lots of whole wheat pasta. As you know whole wheat pasta has LOTS of fiber and therefore caused me horrible stomach cramps, pain, and diarrhea for a continuous 4 hours after my 18 mile run. It felt a bit like giardia (which I have experienced once before). To make matters worse this wasn’t the first time it had happened either. I was experiencing this “running giardia” after all my long distance runs. It didn’t stop me but I always dreaded the several hours after the long runs.
  Before any of my long distance runs I have to gear up mentally several days before. As the long distance run day was approaching me I started to rack my brain as to what to do different. I didn’t come up with the answer until I was talking to my brother’s sweet girlfriend Mariah. Mariah and I were planning our Sabbath dinner menu. She mentioned at one point that she wanted to make macaroni and cheese. Her Mac and cheese is to die for so I didn’t refuse. Sabbath lunch arrived and we were all eating our fantastic meal. Typically I would eat a little Mac and cheese but I wouldn’t take too much due to the cheese content. Well, as I sat there eating my small portion it dawned on me that I needed to eat a big portion of Mac and cheese because quite possibly the cheese would bind me up and not cause “running giardia” the next day. So I ate that Mac and cheese like crazy. Sunday morning came; I geared up, went for my run, felt fantastic, came home, took a shower, ate breakfast and continued my day WITHOUT ANY RUNNING GIARDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a big breakthrough for me. I have finally figured out how to solve an ongoing problem that I originally thought was going to be much harder to solve.
  Mariah’s Mac and cheese is going to be on the menu the day before any of my long distance training days or races. Mac and cheese baby!!!!! I have never been able to enjoy so much mac and cheese before without feeling guilty!!! Thanks Mariah for making my training so much easier!!!! You have no idea how happy you have made me!!!!
Happy training, Alicia

1 comment: