Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Visit From Russ

 Alarm went off, packed my bag, threw a piece of gum in my mouth, filled my water bottle and ran out the door. I drove down the highway in the pouring rain, reached the YMCA, ran in the building, stuffed my belongings in the locker, got my suit on and jumped in the pool. I reviewed my swim routine and started my warm up. I was right on schedule. Everything was going as planned. The more I got into my routine the more I got focused. Then something exciting happened. My faithful swim coach, Russ, jumped in my lane. Bless his heart, he got up super early just to swim with me. It meant the world to me. He watched my stroke, gave me some awesome tips and then lapped with me, over and over and over again. He pushed me, he encouraged me, he totally made my day. After awhile Russ got out of the pool and watched my stroke some more from the pool deck. He again encouraged me and gave me some more tips. When I started to lose my focus he would yell at me and refocus my attention. It really helped me push and work hard. I can get a bit lazy in the pool and really need Russ there to keep me on my toes.  It was so refreshing to meet up with Russ again!!! It had been a month since we met on the pool deck…way too long. Thank you Russ!!! I look forward to our next swim!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment