Tuesday, May 31, 2011

First Pack

My nerves were out of control. I was even shaking a bit. I kept telling myself to calm down and chill but self talk did nothing. I finally got on my bike and started to pedal. The pedaling helped calm me down a bit but I was still a mess. I stopped on a hill and peered across the river at a group of cyclist gearing up at the Fort parking lot. I tried to squint to see who was riding, what kind of gear they were putting on and what kind of bikes they were riding. As I continued to analyze I continued to get more and more nervous. I said to myself “this is ridiculous, you are over scrutinizing, over thinking, and totally blowing this whole thing out of proportion.” See, the group of people I was analyzing was the group that I spinned with all winter long, my Midcoast Triathlon Club friends.  I know these people pretty well and I loved riding with them indoors all winter long. So what had changed? We were about to ride outside which is a whole different animal from riding indoors. You may wonder what the big deal. Haven’t I ridden outside before? Yes, I have ridden outdoors for many years, I have raced outdoors for many years!!!  So what in the world is the problem? Great question. It’s simple: I was about to ride outside for the first time ever in a group much less a group of Ironmen and women!!!! For a little peon like me, riding with Ironmen and women is a big deal. I feel like I have, in some way, finally arrived. I have strictly been a lone rider and never road with groups. So a group ride was very intimidating especially with men and women who have completed a number of ironmen and train like crazy. I was stepping on new ground and wasn’t sure how I was going to perform or fit in.
  If I haven’t made myself sound totally absurd and out of control all ready just wait. It gets worse. I came up with a game plan. I would wait on the top of the hill until the group left. Then I would speed down, and at least stay close enough to see which direction they were going to ride. If I could catch up then I could ride with them. If I couldn’t catch up then I would do my own thing. I was able to barely catch a glimpse of their neon riding vests as they powered up Maine Street. As I continued to following them from way behind I decided it was time to hammer down. As a gained on the rear group I began to get nervous all over again. I kept telling myself if I caught up and passed the rear group I would have to go all the way and try my hardest to catch up with the front pack. Many times I told myself to stop but something else was pushing me forward. I passed the rear group and pushed hard to catch up to the front pack. I gained on them slowly and finally caught up. I only caught up with these Ironmen because they were taking it easy, thankfully. In the lead was Tom, Dominique, Kathy and Erik. They were so welcoming. Dominique filled me in on group riding etiquette which I was clueless about. I am very grateful to her.
  In the end I had one of the best rides ever. Group riding is totally amazing. For the first time ever I was able to draft…what a feeling. I have been on several group rides since and have enjoyed all of them. If my stupid nerves had gotten the best of me I would have missed out on one of my favorite training routines, group rides. Currently I ride with the group every Wednesday and Friday morning. I hope to catch up with them on the week-end too. It’s a bit of a problem since I don’t train on Saturday and the group does their long rides on Saturday. But somewhere down the line I am sure they will do a long ride on Sunday, until then my long rides are solo.

Smiles, Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment