Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Going to Miss IM

 
   Sunday I did my last longish bike. As I was driving to Gray to bike I was just reminiscing about the entire training season. So many memories, so many people, so many miles covered. Goodness, I'm going to miss it!! I cried in the car on my way to my last longish bike ride. I am full of apprehension about this thing being over. We have been thinking about kiddo number two and I know when that happens it's going to be very hard for me to do any type of training. Selfishly I have worked so hard to be at the point I'm at that it's hard to just see it all disappear. My family is more important to me but I am definitely trying to figure out a way to keep up my sport without totally going by the wayside. As you can see I'm going to have a hard time giving it up. Phew!! You might wonder why I enjoy it so much. Here is a list:



1.      I have met some great people during my training; Rich and Tina two of the most wonderful people, Swim Coach Russ, Jilly Bean, The Totman, Marianne, Seaweed Tom, Krazy Kathy, Marathoner Mark, Jim and Mark, Hot Mama Dominique, Little Powerhouse Jerry, Ta The Cyclist, Po Po Erik, Charlie the Great, Val and Walt, Andrew the politician, Anne and Roy, Mike the Brilliant, Mike the Chaser Racer, Doug, Holly and Jim, Jerry the Guy, Nicole, Energy Bunny Sue, Erica, Steve, Steve and Bob, Heather, Courtney, and the list goes on. I know I forgot someone which is not intentional.

2.      Some wonderful family and friends have supported my every effort (all the above names belong here too): Jamie, Tuck, Mom, Dad, Matt C., Mariah, Grandpa Gerald, Child Gang, Jill and Matt H., Greg S., Lori The Gimbel, Aunt Donna, Uncle Mike, Rick, Cheryl, Jessica, Jenn, my Couch to 5k Class, Greg T., and the list could go on and on.

3.      It has made me stronger not only physically but also mentally.

4.      We have trained in all weather conditions: snow, negative degree temps, hot temps, light rain, pouring rain, thunder, high wind days, gusty days, hurricane like days, cloudy days, sunny days and everything else in between.

5.      I have trained in many physical conditions: healthy, tired, sick, exhausted, overtrained, undertrained, injured, healing, painful, sore, stiff, with viruses, without viruses, with flu, without flu, stomach problems, throwing up; I think that's pretty much it.

6.      I have trained in many mental conditions: motivated, mentally exhausted and tired, hyper, unmotivated, aimless, goal oriented, happy, upset, excited, sad, teary eyed, maybe a bit grumpy :-), super stoked, but ALWAYS determined!!!

7.      Training for Ironman is the closest thing yet that I have done that requires perseverance, unwavering determination, relentless training, and no slacking. My training for other tri's was not nearly as planned out and if I missed a week here and there it was no big deal. Over 7-8 months time (6 of which were all out training months) I missed a total of 6 days due to being very sick. I trained when sick except when I had a high temperature or I was throwing up. As I mentioned in an early blog the training has been kind of like my Olympic games. It's the biggest athletic event I have ever done and I have figured out it is no laughing matter. Lots of focus.

8.      Sleep and recovery are so important and you have to make it part of your schedule. For the first time since I can remember I have been napping and enjoying it. My napping days are nearly over and I will miss them.

9.      Food, food, food. I haven't focused enough on race weight but I sure have taken advantage of eating like a horse. Goodness, I can eat alot of food. I have a feeling that's going to have to change drastically when this is all over. Yikes!!! Probably won't change until I gain lots of weight. Now I understand why some retired athletes gain weight. Totally makes sense.

10.  Countless mornings my alarm went off at 4am and even as early as 3:30am. Those early mornings were hard at first and then I just started to get up like a robot not even thinking about it. Believe it or not there is something special about early mornings.

11.  Countless nights I went to bed at 8pm and even as early as 7:45pm. Soon as Tuck went down for the night Mama would collapse.

12.  We got to welcome the day by exercising so early in the morning. We had many swims, bikes and runs that started in the dark and while training we got to enjoy the sunrise. I have so many beautiful images in my head from different sunrises I got to enjoy. Just beautiful!!!

13.  It's been alot of fun being out there training beside and racing with pro marathoners and triathletes. Karen Smyers probably wants to kill me since I yelled at her every time we passed each other in Lake Placid. We have passed by Joan Benoit out for her morning runs here and there too (We were on bikes. Only way we would have passed her). Then there have been a number of pro's at the races. Not many sports allow the average athlete such as myself to compete in the same race as the professionals. It's pretty cool.

14.  Never before have I thought it okay to take a day completely off of exercise. Sabbath has always been my day off planned training but I still usually walk or do something outside in the fresh air. There are some things that I feel comfortable doing on the Sabbath, such as hiking and taking walks. We, as a family, enjoy being active on Sabbath but I like to take the day off any planned training. Rest is just as important as exercise, nutrition, stress management, etc. You have to incorporate all of it. Sabbath is an important day to spend with God and to rejuvinate my spiritually thirsty soul. The day off leaves me feeling refreshed and ready for another busy week. God blesses us for observing His Holy day as well.  For nearly a year of Ironman training there have only been two days that I actually got on my bike and did a ride on Sabbath. In both situations I had mixed feelings thinking I sholdn't have gotten on bike and yet felt like it was fine considering the situation. I was not motivated by weather or working on killing myself.  I felt like I wasn't doing it for the wrong reasons. It's a fine balance for me to know what activity is okay for me to do on Sabbath and what isn't okay. It also matters who I surround myself with and what our conversation is. Hiking can be very strenous but I find it okay to do on Sabbath because being outside, and especially on mountain tops makes me feel as close to God as it gets.  I have run on Sabbath too but not as part of my training plan, instead just as a way to refresh my mind and get some fresh air. It's not about mileage, time or calories. Competing on the Sabbath is a big no-no for me though. I, personally can not compete and think on Sabbath thoughts at the same time. I pray during competitions but my mind is in a very different place while competing. So, long story short, I don't think it's a sin to run, swim or bike on the Sabbath but personally I'm having to be very careful about doing any of those three activites on Sabbath since they put me in race mode and make me think about the big event I have coming up. The ironman takes up too much of my thought already. I need to protect the Sabbath and keep it as a day to think about God, family, friends and those in need.

15.  For the first time in a long time I have become a little more versatile in the time of day I train. I still prefer to exercise in the morning but I have found out its okay to exercise at different times of day. I have had to swim late morning, bike in the afternoons, run in the evening. That's big for me since I use to only exercise in the morning. If I didn't get it done in the morning it wouldn't get done. With Ironman training you don't have a choice. I didn't have enough time to do everything in the morning or afternoon. Often I had to split it up and do some training in the morning then again in late morning and afternoon. I still MUCH prefer to run in the morning though. Running is the only exercise I despise doing any other time of day. :-)

16.  Gear, gear, gear. Although I don't have top notch stuff or hardly everything that is available to triathletes I have definitely accumulated pretty great stuff. Jamie and I (mostly Jamie) have researched great deals and gotten most everything with discounts.

17.  I am madly in love with my maintenance man. He is my tech man, my maintenance man, my gear man, my go-to-man for all equipment I own. Every once and awhile he even gives me a kiss or two. My maintenance man is the best in Maine and I have him all to myself. I share him with no one. He is the best kept secret. Thanks Jamie for all the changed tires, pumped tubes, seat adjustments, gear adjustments, water bottle adjustments, bike tune ups, and so much more. You are my right hand man and nothing you do goes unnoticed.

18.  Gear educator. Only Jamie knows how much I hate to change tires!!! Thanks babe for making me practice even though you had to listen to me whine and whimper. We still have some more practicing to do.  I wouldn’t have a clue how to change a tired if it wasn’t for you. Wish I could pack you up and bring you along on race day to change all my flats and fix all my problems.

19.  Free babysitting with the best sitter ever is another best kept secret of mine. My babysitter even comes with perks. He bakes bread, has been known to make dinner, picks stuff up, gardens, fixes my car, feeds my boy, loves my boy, changes my boy's very poopy diapers, takes Tucker to some fun places, puts Tuck down for naps, reads to Tucker, plays with Tucker and exceeds all expectations a mother might have for a babysitter. The cool thing is he is my maintenance man. What a handy man. Man of many trades. Love you Jamie.

20.  Backup babysitters!! Yes, I even have back-up babysitters who are totally amazing. My mom and dad have watched Tuck a number of times while I trained or raced. When I'm racing I have to have my maintenance man with me so Tuck gets to spend quality time with his Grampy and Grammy. They are so good with him; fun, active and consistent. Sometimes Tuck misses his naps when he is with Grampy and Grammy though. :-)

21.  Most importantly:

Every stroke, every pedal, every step are given to me from God. He is the reason my body is able to do any of this. He deserves all the credit. God is so loving, selfless, and patient. He has for some reason given me this opportunity. Somehow I hope this experience will glorify Him and Him alone. God is great. I don't totally understand why He has allowed me to do such an involved sport. Any way you look at it, it has definitely taken time away from God. I prayed before every bit of training so we were never separated but our one-on-one quite time was limited. I don’t' like it and I understand it's the most important thing for me to do daily. For some reason God has been patient with me and has given me the strength to do this crazy event. Some day it will all make sense. To God be the glory. I am but a feeble, mortal human who is nothing without God. God has watched out for me every step of the way and has protected my very fragile life in the water and on the road. For that and many other reasons I am so grateful.



"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart...Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. " Hebrews 12: 1-3 & 12



One week from now I will be packing up and getting ready to head to Lake Placid. Dear Lord please grant my family and me safe travels, healthy body’s and spiritually rich souls. Lord give me Your strength on race day because it’s the only hope I have in crossing the finish line. You and I God; I want to be on your team, God. It’s all that matters; being on Your team!!!

2 comments:

  1. Alicia, What an adventure!! I know the emotional rollercoaster you're on right now. I've been there. Stay focused. Stay confident. You've trained hard...from afar, it appears that you've done all the right stuff. I believe in you...you're going to do great. And there will be many more challenges and opportuniites to replace this one. So sorry not to be there!!!

    ReplyDelete