Saturday, July 14, 2012

Do Not Run Aimlessly



  One week, one day; the nerves are getting high. Life has been so busy lately but when I am reminded of the upcoming event I freak out a bit and my tummy churns. For me it's normal. I always get nervous. Doesn't matter if I am getting ready to race a 5k or an Ironman, I still get nervous.

  The above verses are in my heart to remind myself of several things. First of all to do my very best July 22 and to run the race with everything that I have. I am in no way going to come close to winning a prize like the verses say, that is not what I am implying, but I will run "in such a way to get a prize (hopefully a finishers medal).  It also reminds me not to run aimlessly but to run for God. The Ironman is a hobby, it's a sport, I know, but I can still stroke, pedal and run for God; God can be my focus. All day long I can pray for His strength and His wisdom and His mercy. It will be good practice for life, as we all need to pray for God's help every day of our lives. We need to daily ask for God's strength, wisdom and mercy.
  Most importantly the verses keep me grounded and remind me that life isn't just about Ironman or any of our other hobbies. Life is about God and His children. The verses remind me of the bigger picture, what we are really doing on earth. We are not hear to aimlessly charge here and there; we are here to prepare for eternal life with God. What greater race is there?? The race of life eternal with the most loving, forgiving, patient Father. I certainly do not want to get disqualified from this short life on earth and I don't want any of my family or friends too either.
   Imagine heaven where there will be no pain, no suffering, no death, no sorrow, no arguments, everyone will be able to see, hear, walk, run, dance, speak, everyone will be equal, everyone will be richly blessed, everyone will be friends.  Why don't we all desire it more? Why don't I get nervous about my spiritual life and the race that is determining my eternal future?
  "As Christians, we are running toward our heavenly reward. The essential disciplines of prayer, Bible study, and worship equip us to run with vigor and stamina. Don't merely observe from the grandstand; don't just turn out to jog a couple laps each morning. Train diligently--your spiritual progress depends upon it."Commentary in the Life Application Study Bible.
  The Ironman training has taught me discipline like never before. No matter what, I was determined not to miss a day of training. And when I trained it was with purpose, meaning and with a goal in mind. My spiritual life must be even more diligent and self-disciplined. God help me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment