Friday, June 22, 2012

Lake Placid Training Camp

   One month from today; GAME ON!!!! Yesterday I found out my bib number is 476. When I saw my number for the fist time I got butterflies in my tummy. I can't believe this whole thing is coming together and I will actually be doing an Ironman. I keep thinking something might happen that will put a kink in the whole thing but so far the Lord has blessed me with a great training year and a great support crew. I honestly, feel like I'm living in a dream; never thought this was going to be possible.
If all goes well, one month from this very moment I should be done with the event that I trained an entire year for. All that hard work comes down to one day. I am sure during the bike and run I will have feelings of thinking it will never end but I also know it will go by in a flash. I want to savor every minute, every stroke, every pedal, every step. Not sure when I will be able to do anther Ironman.
Even though an Ironman is not a big deal to some it is to me. Figuring out how to train, be a mommy, wife, take care of the house, work many jobs and everything else in life has been very challenging. Most people train about 18-30hours a week for the Ironman but I am lucky to get in 12 hours a week. With my limited time to train and life duties this adventure has proven to be one heck of a ride. It's my Olympic event, it's my one big chance. Jamie has made it very clear that I am not to do this again for a very long time so this is it. With that in mind it really puts extra pressure on me to make July 22 successful some how. Lots of things can happen leading up to that day and lots of things can happen on that day so I pray hard the Lord will grant me a smooth race day. There is alot at stake for us. We have invested alot of time, finances and hard work into this adventure. Ironman stuff is not a poor mans sports and we are poor. :-) So, yes, we have alot at stake. Knowing that I don't have the luxury to just do another one if this one doesn't go well really adds the pressure. Some how I have got to channel this "pressure" to work for me not against me.
I guess because so much hard work and so much support from other's is invested in this Ironman distance there seems to be alot more emotions that go along with Ironman distance races as opposed to any other distance I have done. It's a funny thing. This last month leading up to race day is not only crucial physically it's also an emotional roller coaster. I am so excited about race day, so ready for it to be here and yet part of me wants to freeze time. I don't want it to be over either. Half iron distance races and shorter I know that if I have a bad race it's okay. I can sign up for another one and try again. That's not the case with Ironman. This is my one chance. This is my one shot, at least until I'm 50 or so. Haha!!! Poor Jamie on the other hand just can't wait for this whole thing to be behind us (for his very understandable reasons). Race day will only be sweet to him but I'm afraid for me it will be very much so bitter sweet. I will be one of those athletes that crosses the finish line (assuming I cross the finish line) crying like a baby. I apologize ahead of time. :-) I have had some real amazing supporters during this whole adventure and I can't thank them enough for constantly encouraging me, giving me words of wisdom, pushing me when I didn't want to keep going, holding me back when I was overtraining, and the list goes on. I will forever be grateful to you. You know who you are!!! One month away my friends; couldn't have done it without you.
This past week was the peak training week for the Ironman. Some wonderful friends of ours invited Jamie and I to come stay with them at an apartment they rented in Lake Placid. We gratefully accepted their offer only if we could provide the food. To make the trip easier my parent's offered to watch Tucker and my brother and his beautiful gal offered to watch our puppy. So with the car packed with food, bikes, Jamie's motorcycle and lots of gear we were off to Lake Placid. We arrived in Lake Placid late but got some good sleep before the training adventures began.
We started the training with a 56 mile bike. We did the bike course once and even experienced one flat tire. My friend, Matt, unfortunately got a flat but it was very educational for me. I was sorry it was an extra expense for Matt but I was very grateful for the tutorial. Our ride was successful and was followed up by a swim. The plan was to swim the entire 2.4 mile course but we ended up swimming 3.6 miles. Matt and I didn't know where to turn around and we ended up following the rowing course. We knew something was off due to time but we went ahead and did two loops of the rowing course anyway. Hey, if we can swim 3.6 miles than surely we can swim 2.4. Haha!!! The swim felt great and it was awesome being able to follow the cord underneath the water. I hardly looked up at the buoy at all. Race day I probably won't be anywhere close to the cord but I enjoyed the luxury during practice. The rest of the day we enjoyed lounging and eating a little ice cream. That night I went to bed fairly early so my body would be rested up for the next adventure.
 The next day we were off on our 112 mile bike ride. We did the first loop under 3 hours and we felt good but I knew it was a little too fast for me. I would have to go a bit slower race day in order to have a fresh marathon. After the first loop we re-fueled and road out of town for the second loop. About 10 miles away from town on the second loop I started to feel really hot. I felt like I really didn't drink enough and I know I didn't eat enough. Something to remember on race day. Otherwise the 112 miles went very well and we felt good. I was very pleased with my bike, my saddle and my attire. After the bike ride we changed into our running shoes and did a t-run from the apartment to the lake. Matt and I quickly took our shoes off at the lake and promptly dove it. It was the best feeling!!!! The cool water felt so refreshing and helped wash away the hours and hours of salt plastered all over my legs, arms and face. Once we got home, showered and ate dinner, it was time for bed.
The next morning we geared up and headed out the door for our 20 mile run. We did one and a half loops of the running course. Some how our legs didn't feel too bad after the long bike. We were able to cover the run course without any trouble and finished feeling tired but good. Now we just have to put everything together all on the same day. Yikes!!!
This past week has given me a confidence boost. Having done the course and knowing I have covered every mile of it is comforting. I know how to pace myself a bit better, I know how to fuel a bit better and I came up with a different hydration set-up on my bike which is MUCH better. I know the course, the hills, the downhills, the flats and everything else in between. Next time I'm in Placid I just have to put it all together which is going to be a whole different beast.
There are several things I have got to practice between now and July 22. I have to practice changing my tires, repairing my tires and pumping my tires. There is nothing more that I hate then a flat tire. My hand strength is so weak and it takes me forever to get a tire on and off the rim. It's so frustrating. So, I must practice for hours how to change my tire until I can do it in minutes instead of in hours. :-) I also need to practice my transitions and figure out exactly how to work quickly and efficiently. I also need to research special needs bags and figure out what to put in them.
Jamie and I want to send out a great big thank you to Matt and Jill for making this past week possible. It was alot of fun, alot of hard work and just a great experience. We also want to thank my parents for giving Tucker an exciting, fun filled time and we thank Matt and Mariah for taking care of the puppy. It takes a crew to prep for such an event!!! Wouldn't be possible without my team!!! Thank you everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment