Friday, May 11, 2012

Sub 14 Would Be Okay...I Guess

  Ever since I started this Ironman adventure I have had alot of friends ask how long it will take me to complete the Ironman. Great question!! Wish I knew the answer. Wind, sickness, bike issues, swim issues, run issues, cramps, too many bathroom breaks, weather and so much more are all variables that can and probably will affect my time. Let's just say I have smooth sailing (which is rare) my time would be, well, I want to say 12 hours and 30 minutes BUT NO. That's only wishful thinking. Honestly I would be really happy with anything sub 14. Being a mom, working several jobs, and having limited time to train will definitely play a major role on my total race time. I'm heading to Placid to put my body to the test (especially mentally) and as long as I see that finish line I will be VERY happy!!!
  There are cutoff times for the Ironman. The swim has to be completed within 2 hours and 20 minutes. The bike has to be completed within 10 hours and 30 minutes and the run must be completed within 17 hours of the start. Realistically I will probably do the swim around 1 hour 20 minutes, the bike around 7 hours and the run around 5 hours. In my dreams I would love to do the swim in 1 hour 17 minutes, the bike in 6 hours 30 minutes and the run in 4 hours 30 minutes. The closer I get to race day the more reality is sinking in. I am becoming continually excited about just finishing the thing even if it takes 17 hours. You just never know what could happen. I totally wouldn't be surprised if it takes me much longer than I think. (Jamie is going to cringe when he hears the next part.) The problem is if I have some sort of unpredicted issue and my time is off big time then I will be dying to do another to prove to myself that I can finish an ironman in a descent time. Let's just pray really hard that things go somewhat smooth and I can at least accomplish this beast within 13:59:59 or less!!!! Sub 14 would be okay, I guess. Not exactly what I was hoping for when I first started this adventure but it is quickly becoming my reality. Could take longer but one thing is for sure no matter how long it takes I have to remind myself that few get to experience such a thing and it will be amazing just to finish!!! God give me strength!!

No comments:

Post a Comment