Saturday, February 25, 2012

Personality: Jamie vs. Alicia

So I was looking up this athlete personality site trying to determine the difference between Jamie and I. We are complete opposites which works out perfect for us. As an athlete I am an introvert. I like training with other people and am getting to the point where I won't train any other way BUT I am still a lone athlete. If I have to swim, bike or run alone I don't have a problem with it.  I am swimming in my own lane or at my pace and relying on no one else to propel me forward, while biking or running I am pacing according to my own abilities, no one else is doing it for me. I am part of a club and I consider them my team. We do most all of our training together and we are a great support to each other but we carry our own weight. On race day it is survival of the fittest, you are own your own!!! I enjoy long bike rides just thinking and working hard. I don't need to be talking to others the whole time and often find that I work harder when I'm not talking. I prefer not to have a team rely on me. I have a great fear of letting other's down. As a triathlete you don't let anyone down but yourself.  Jamie on the other hand is an extrovert. He likes to surround himself with people while working out. He needs people to motivate him. It can be hard for him to get out the door unless someone can accompany him. Team work is important to Jamie and he is a good team player. He plays hard and plays well with other's. He likes having other's around so he can help and be helped. Jamie doesn't have a fear of letting other's down; he has confidence in his team abilities. Jamie likes to talk to people while workout and often prefers it. Jamie would rather compete with a group, as a team, then alone. It is far more rewarding to him. I definitely see the details of exercise and tend to spend alot of time organizing the details. Jamie see's the big picture and doesn't harp on the details. He is out to have fun and do his best but isn't worried about every second of his performance or training. Jamie is a thinker and bases his decisions on facts and logic. He researches things to get the big picture and then does what makes the most sense. I am a feeler. I base my athletic decisions alot on people and emotions. If someone is ahead of me I must try to catch up no matter what. If I'm feeling good I'm going to go for it. I also don't want to disappoint anyone and will often push just to meet expectations. I will often train harder when I'm in a certain mood too. I hate to admit that because women are known for being emotional and part of me hates that. Jamie perceives. He structures his workouts so they are adaptable and fun-oriented. Jamie loves to exercise but prefers to have fun while doing it. He loves volleyball, racket-ball, mountain biking, etc, all of which are fun and not just grueling. I am very much so a judger. My workouts are controlled and work-oriented. I am out there to work hard no matter if it's fun or not. My workouts are planned and structured. If I have to run 18 miles it doesn't matter if it's raining, snowing or freezing cold, I have to do it. It probably won't necessarily be the best time I have ever had but it's rewarding to me. Honestly, I love my work-oriented workouts. They can be intense, long, tedious and sometimes boring but I love to push my body to it's limits. It's hard for people to understand this mind-set but there are more people out there that are like me then you might think. Some are actually 10X more intense then I am. We are all different and enjoy life differently. We see things differently. We experience things differently. I am so thankful for Jamie and his differences. I wouldn't want to live with another "me". Jamie is the best thing for me. We help balance each other. 

1 comment:

  1. Are the two of you exact Meyers-Briggs opposites in all four dichotomies?

    ReplyDelete