Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Current Training Routine

Training in a nutshell:
A triathlete’s training plan is his or her map to race day. The map may have detours, it may have bumps and sharp turns, it may have long flat boring roads, or high head winds. In the end the map better prepare you for race day or you will pay for it somehow. The cool thing is the map can be re-written, re-created or simply adjusted. I have found that I am constantly making improvements to my map. I have not yet found the perfect training program yet. I think it’s going to take a lifetime of constant adjustments. My daily life schedule is constantly changing thus affecting when and where I can train. Half of the fun of training (for me) is making the “map”. I love to get all my references together and scheme up a new and revised way to improve my training.  Currently my training plan is prepping me to ride and run the Lake Placid distance by this coming July, improve my time on the Pumpkinman Half Ironman by this coming September, and to run the Maine Marathon this coming October.  
Below you will see an overview of what my weekly training schedule looks like. It’s important to remember that I do take one day off a week (Saturday) from all training. I do not do any planned swims, bikes or runs. I do not monitor my exercise that day and I do not worry about intensity. I have found it refreshing both physically and mentally to take a complete day off of training. I am still active on that day just in a very different way.
Every four weeks I try to do a recovery training routine. I still train just with fewer miles and/or less intensity. My schedule is also weather dependent which means that sometimes I switch the days up so I can do my long run or bike on a sunny day or something to that nature. But for the most part my current training schedule looks something like the following (it will change once summer arrives):
Sun: Long bike
Mon: Long run
Tues: Long swim
Wed: Bike ride followed by run
Thurs: Swim followed by a run
Fri: Bike followed by an optional transition run.

Happy training everyone!!!

Smiles :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment