Saturday, March 19, 2011

Training Update One

This entire blog is about many things but mostly about how realistic it is to train for an Ironman and still maintain relationships, keep up with my jobs, and stay spiritually connected with God. I haven't updated you yet on how I am keeping up with a "normal" life while training. Here is an overview of the situation:

  The spiritual aspect has been tough but in some ways I feel I am doing better. I don't always have my worships in the morning, instead they are in the middle of the day or in the evening. I find when I have my worship in the morning I often feel rushed thinking about everything I have to do. When I have my worships in the middle of the day or in the evening I don't feel so rushed; I usually feel somewhat accomplished and able to relax. Also I have been alot more vocal about who I am and what I believe. The Lord has provided me with many occasions to share with other's that I am a Christian.  I have much to improve on but all-in-all my training is not leaving my spiritual life behind. 
 
 My relationship with my husband is wonderful. God is so great!!! I don't deserve Jamie but God gave him to me so I am keeping him!!! :-) Jamie and I have been learning to give and take. We are both supporting each other's goals. For the most part my training takes away from getting up together in the morning and that's about it. Soon it will take away from some occasional breakfasts together. We try to have  date nights and catch up via cell phones several times a day. We usually always do stuff together on the weekends with and without Tucker. Jamie is even running with me on Friday's. We are helping him train for a 5k. Jamie is very open and honest with me and let's me know if my training is affecting us. He won't let that happen and I don't want it to either. 
 Tucker doesn't even have a clue that Mama is off training early in the morning because he is fast asleep. Often I will get home and Tuck is still asleep. Sometimes I get a little tired in the afternoon and feel like my energy level is low but then I work through it. Other than that my training hasn't negatively affected Tuck and if it does something will have to change. 
 
  Work is starting to pick up and is posing a threat to my training. I am currently teaching part-time at USM and at Atlantic Union College. In two weeks I will be teaching the evening triathlon class at the local YMCA and I am also triathlon coaching through CoachMe Tri. As work picks up life gets hectic. It's getting harder to keep up with everything. But I'm determined.
 
  Family and friends would probably say that my communication skills haven't changed and that's because I am horrible at communicating as it is. Part of the problem is my stupid cell phone (which isn't working) but I am also a big part of the problem. I have been trying to do better at communicating with everyone but I have lots to improve on. I swear I have cell phone-ophobia. I do not like talking on the phone. I love emailing, texting, writing and talking face-to-face, just not on the phone. No offense to anyone it's just a weird quirk of mine.

 Sleep and recovery are probably being affected a bit but I try to protect my sleep as much as possible. I need  about 8 hours a night. In the last year I have been going to bed around 8 or 9, getting 4 hours of sleep before midnight and 4 hours of sleep after midnight, waking up at 4ish. I usually feel well rested and I think it's mostly due to the 4 hours of sleep before midnight. Several years earlier I use to get about 8 hours of sleep but only 2 of those hours were before midnight and I never felt rested. So I am a firm believer in getting as many hours of sleep before midnight as possible.
 
My training has helped me improve on several things which I am super excited about. First of all, those of you who know me are aware that I have a wicked bad sweet tooth. Eating a dessert most every day was not unheard of for me and in fact that's pretty much how I use to roll. Now I eat dessert only on the week-end. I feel noticeably better. My water consumption has improved but still has room for more improvement. I am more focused and organized during the day. If I'm not organized and on top of things then everything falls apart. I don't watch much television due to no time. It's more important for me to spend time with Jamie and use every minute of my day in a productive way. If I'm not productive then I don't have as much time to train. Ironman is my goal not television. I have no clue what the latest, greatest shows are on t.v., I have no clue who the contestants are on American Idol, and so on. Some may say I am sheltered and others may say I'm better off without the television...so far I have only seen positive results. Every minute of the day counts. Technically I guess you could say that ironman training has affected the "down time" in my life. More on that later.
 
So that's a quick update. My training is about to pick up this coming week and I have a feeling that it won't be as smooth sailing. I will keep you updated. Stay tuned... 

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog Alicia! I can relate to a lot of what you said! I have been going forward to running, working through my barriers, and trying to make progress. Only a few days into it so far, but I've been getting up earlier so that I can run before breakfast and escape cramps. What I found was that running after a 12-hour fast from supper resulted in seriously depleted energy and sore muscles! I'm thankful for the nutrition knowledge I have, and I plan I hitting my textbooks for Sports Nutrition as far as planning meals and snacks better and making sure I am consuming enough calories.

    Just a few things that I a similar on: I don't like calling on the phone. Love facebook, emailing, texting, etc., but I really have to put myself in the mind to call. I also don't watch much TV. Between working full time, doing school, cleaning/caring for the house, and spending a night with each set of parents (we're both only children), time gets easily spent! We watch TV on occasion when we have time, but most of our time is spent on productive things. I also struggle with making sure I make time for God. It can be really hard with all of the demands of the day, but I hate the person I become when I don't make time for Him. The effort it takes to make the time is well worth it.

    Kudos to you for managing all of your relationships and responsibilities so well! I would love to read more on what you training actually consists of. Also, how has your nutrition intake been affected by your training (this purely from my nutritional interest)? ;)

    ReplyDelete