Monday, October 24, 2011

Off Season Can Be Tough

It's the off season for me as it is for alot of people. It's time to literally NOT be in peak condition, to lose fitness, and gain some weight (hopefully not too much). Sounds pretty good, or does it???
 
  I have really been struggling recently with feeling overly tired and purely exhausted. I have been trying to keep up my training (not at the same intensity as before) but continually find myself feeling more and more exhausted. I have to let go. It's okay to recover. In fact, if I don't recover I will be screwed going into my Ironman training starting in January and February. Just the same, something keeps telling me that I need to hold on to my long distance runs and bikes. Thing is, I just don't feel like it. 
 
  Today, I finally put on my "to-do-list" to Google 'triathlon off season recovery' and I found several interesting articles and video clips. All of them were saying that you have to take at least 3-6 weeks off. Off doesn't mean low intensity swims, bikes and runs. Off literally means off!!! In fact there is a 6 time world Ironman champion who literally takes 6 weeks off and does nothing physical except surfing. Seems to be working very well for him. Most of the articles I read also said that you have to lose fitness. You can not maintain your peak fitness during off season and then build upon that to become even more fit. No, it doesn't work that way. You WILL burn out!!! You have to give your mind and body a break, a serious break. This is called periodization!!!! I swear by periodization and have all my clients practice it. So why can't I?? Oh man, what a great question.
 
1. It's tough to lose the fitness you worked so hard on building.
2. It's not fun to watch clothes get tighter.
3. I'm feeling lost in the morning.
4. My days do not seem as successful without a hard training session.
5. As a mommy, if I don't exercise in the morning it often doesn't happen. So I am having a hard time finding something else to do later in the day with my little man.
6. I have to do something since it helps keep me sane.
7. Ironman is 9 months away and I feel its constant pressure.
 
But here is the truth to each above statement:
 
1.  Sounds like many experience the paranoia that lost fitness can never be gained back. Every race season proves that paranoia faulty though. Of course I will lose fitness but it doesn't take long to gain it back and possibly surpass it.
2.  Once training starts again the extra off-season pounds will melt away and I will feel as good as new. I hope. :-) It's expected to gain a little during off-season and especially during the holidays.
3. Sleep in for once and focus on spending even more quality time with Tucker.
4. Mark my success during the off season by getting as much sleep as possible.
5. I can walk, ride bike with Burley, snowshoe in the winter, cross-country ski, and so much more. I know there are options, I just need to be more creative.
6. Go for a walk in the early morning AFTER having an extra long worship.
7. I only need about 7 months to prepare for Ironman which leaves me 2 wonderful months to RECOVER!!!
 
As one of the articles said:
 
So, repeat after me.
“This is the off-season.”
“I will not be in peak condition.”
“I will lose fitness.”
“I will put on weight.”
“This is okay.”
It has to be okay in order to be a success (which means finish) at Lake Placid. So, for the next two months I am going to try really hard to focus on recovery not peak performance. I have to change my mind-set and just see it as a new and different challenge that is VITAL to my training.
 
Happy Off Season Everyone, Alicia 

No comments:

Post a Comment