Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Maine Marathon Already???

The day after my half-ironman I was able to meet up with the crew like normal and bike, followed by swimming the following day. By the third day I was ready for a little breather. It all finally caught up to me and I just wanted to be lazy and eat whoopee pies. So that’s exactly what I did!!! I didn’t exercise at all and I ate more than one whoopee pie (yes, Bre!!! I did eat some whoopee pies. I am ashamed to admit it but it’s true. You are stronger than me)!!! J Anyway, I was able to continue exercising after my day off but I wouldn’t call it training; I would call it a recovery routine. The point was to get my heart rate up a little bit, spin my legs out, or swim, or do an easy run. I wasn’t working on distance, time or intensity, just recovery. After about 5 days I was physically feeling ready to hit it again but mentally I was not ready. Actually to this day I am not quite ready to “train”. These recovery rides which include a lot of chatting and laughing are really starting to grow on me. It’s so much fun. Haha!!!
  But, the point is, I have the Maine Marathon this coming Sunday (October 2, 2011). I’m not totally sure how to describe how I am feeling. First of all I feel like it has been awhile since I did a 20 mile run which for some reason makes me feel a bit unprepared. Second of all I am not too nervous going into race day which for me is not a good thing. I perform better with nerves. Somehow I can usually channel my nerves in a way to keep my eyes on the prize (not always though). Honestly, the reason I am not nervous is because I am not competing. I am doing the marathon only to finish and to gain experience going into Lake Placid. This Mama doesn’t even come close to competing at the Maine Marathon. Third of all I feel like I have already peaked at the half. Currently I am on the downward slope toward “time off” until ILP training starts in full force. So I feel like I am going into the Maine Marathon on fumes. Great practice for the ironman since I will be running on fumes during the race!!!
  Anyway, it’s going to be interesting to see how the day goes. This will be my first marathon and the longest I have ever run before in my life. For some 26 miles is nothing (merely a warm-up for ultra marathoners). Goodness, I do not know how ultra marathoners do it!! They are amazing. I couldn’t ever run 50 or 100 miles. In fact I don’t really have any interest in running anything more than 26 ever!!! Haha!!!
  One last point I want to through out there. Many triathlon coaches advice not to do a marathon before an ironman since it could affect your training. I totally agree if the marathon is during the ironman race season or any type of race season. But if the marathon is at the end of the race season or a year before the ironman I highly advice it. The experience is well worth it. It has taught me so much about pacing, where I want my heart rate over the duration of a long run, what fuel works best for me, at what mile I can start to eat, when I should start drinking electrolytes verses water, how much I need to drink and eat, what to eat the day before a long run, what type of clothing to wear, where to smear on Glide, mental games to use, and so much more. The experience has been priceless.
  Running 26 miles after swimming a couple miles and biking 112 will be a lot different than just doing a marathon but there are some similarities.
So here is to wishing everyone doing the Maine Marathon a wonderful day. Good luck Kathy, Tom, Erik, Andy, Charlie, Brenda, Roy, Anne, Jill and Mark (racing in WV) and everyone else racing this weekend. My goal for the marathon: to finish!!!! Simply to finish!!!
Smiles, Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment