Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Number With a Soul

I have been dared to be more than a number. I know for certain I will never be more than a number but I want to be a number; a number in Lake Placid 2012 Ironman!!! There are SO many reasons why I shouldn't ever attempt an Ironman but there is one reason I hope to attempt an Ironman; I want to finish!!!  Every number on the race course represents a unique person. Every person has a very unique story to share about themselves and their journey to Ironman. This is the story not only about my journey but about my support team as well. This blog isn't about my training; this blog is about my ability to do an Ironman without giving up the most important things in my life: God, my family, and work. Is it realistic to train for an Ironman with the hopes of not compromising my relationships? Will I be able to get up at 4:00-4:30 a.m. most mornings and train before my family is awake? Will I be able to have breakfast on the table most mornings, groceries in the pantry, toilet paper stocked up in each bathroom, lunches made each day, Tucker at his swim lessons, Tucker at his library group, Tucker at his play dates, house cleaned once a week, bills paid, check book updated, supper on the table, lesson plans done, grading done, and hours of training completed? Will I be able to do volunteer work, go to school events, go on family vacations? Will I be able to do all this plus a hundred other things and still train for Ironman.
  It's important for you to realize that I lack one thing that alot of triathletes have...money to put toward the sport. I can not hire in help, I can not hire a coach, I can not pay for a babysitter, I can not afford a gym membership, I can not even afford a tri bike. So, yeah, you are probably thinking I'm either stupid or crazy...maybe both. Well, I beginning to think so too. Lacking the funds is part of the challenge though.
  Long story short, how can I do an Ironman without jeopardizing any part of my "normal" life and without having any funds to put toward the event? I don't know but we are about to find out....

  Join me on this journey and please give me any and all advice you may have.  Got to go get supper on the table. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment